Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bag a Bargain!


Oh my! Oh my! What a haul! I need to be jealous because it wasn't all mine. Our local favorite consignment store cleans house once a season with $5 per bag. In all, it was $45 and $20 of it was mine- a $12 cute outfit for Ella I could not pass up and clothes for friends as well. My clothes are in the picture. Nora had about 6 or 7 more bags and a few coats. I can't wait to see all of it!

This is really one of the best sales for kids clothes since it takes all the guesswork out of the pricing and it goes! Isn't that the whole point of a clearance sale? Now we love our other consignment stores in town and I have become a disciple of Goodwill. It is really amazing what I can find if I just spend a little time looking. You certainly can't beat the prices and I almost always find something cute.

I seem to be developing some rules. Here they go:
I try to find designer above all. This means names like Catimni, deux Par deux, Room Seven, Oilily, Appaman, Goldrush, Cakewalk, Zaza Couture and many others- anything European. The second tier is still higher end but better know names usually from catalogues like Hanna Andersson, Mini Boden, Garnet Hill or Fresh Produce. Then my third tier consists of Gap, Gymboree, or anything you can get locally or at a mall/outlet. Now I rarely will buy Target, Kohls, or other discount brand clothes unless it is mint and really special. The reason is- I can go there easily and buy it new, often for less than the consignment store is selling it for.

So, name brands is one way I deliniate what to buy. But it really is based upon what it looks like- the cuteness or origniality factor and comfort! If it is a good deal that can always factor in. Size is another buying factor. I was limited myself to buying only 2 sizes up from clothes they were wearing currently, but for anything in the first tier, if it is a really good deal I throw that rule out the window! I do however need to draw the line at anything above size 7/8 as my kids are only in sizes 2-5. I figure by that time, if not sooner, they will be able to voice what it is they want to wear and want more of a hand in choosing their clothing. I love, love, love bargain shopping. A part of me wishes I could afford to purchase all my kids clothes new and not have to spend time looking. But it really is my hobby and I love being familiar with all the brands and finding them in unexpected places. All I can say is that I can't wait for garage sales!

No comments: