Monday, August 3, 2009

3/50 Project

Have you heard about the 3/50 Project?

The 3/50 Project encourages people to shop locally. When we shop locally, the money we spend stays in our community. For every $100 we spend locally, $68 is returned to the community.

When we spend in a national chain, only $43 remains in the community. And, of course, when we buy online, nothing stays home.

So pick 3 businesses you would miss if they went out of business. Spend $50. Save our local economy.

Here are my 3:
If you know me you know I steer clear of Walmart. I understand it is cheaper- but I think I can work on saving in differnt ways as it is better for my community if I do not shop there. I will go there if I have to..but it pains me when I do. I am slightly addicted to Target but I am working in that. This summer I have been finding my local Ace- (just a few minutes from my house- I can actually walk there!) - often helps me find what I need with great service. They have so much more than just hardware. I often will run there when I am in need of something unique and useful.

I think I could also recommend Stuff- or any local consignment. : ) You are actually buying used goods, it really is recycling at its finest. What a green and economical concept. Stuff has made consignment cool in this town. Revival, Second Act, Kidsworks...it's all so good! So it is a shoppers market! Yea for me!

Last I would choose a local restaurant or local bakery. The Breadmarket has made us really want to go downtown more. In fact Bret and I are pretty much in love with most things Mondinaro-not the man but his creations are pretty tasty- Givannis (my fav!), Mickeys (has that sold yet?), Sports Cafe (yeah its back!) and Hothouse Yoga too.


For more information, check out http://www.the350project.net/home.html

1 comment:

saras said...

I have been obsessed with the organization/concept for about 2 weeks. I love that you put it on the blog!!!