Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kitties & Birdies




I have been excited to do some sumer sewing and here we go! Ella chose this adorable and retro kitties fabric by Michael Miller. They seem to be on the way to becoming my favorite fabric company! I thought kitties would be cute with birdies, so I found this to go with.


I began with the idea of making a skirt with bird trim, but if you know me my creative mind works as I go. I also found some oh so soft muslin at Home Ec. which is a bargain price of $4 a yard - which is even better since it is 90 inches wide. I decided to line the skirt with this muslin and attach the bird fabric as a large bias peeking out from under the kitty skirt top. I then found some pink bias trim to put on the bottom of the kitty skirt. I thought the contrast would be cute and really make the birdy fabric from the bottom stand out.



Well I made the casing for the elastic and tucked the liner inside the casing as I sewed. I then took a good look and realized this skirt could be reversible!!!! So I used some remnant kitty fabric and made two small pockets made for little hands. I love how you have the kitty waist band, pockets and then birdy trim. The muslin makes a great background for these fabrics.



Ella was a little sad I could not get this done in time for Farmer's Market tonight but I think she will be fine when she realizes she got not just one but two skirts! I am pretty sure she will like the kitty side, while I like the slightly more reserved side. All in all I love both.

Coming soon, pants for boys!

No comments: